At present, the majority of sites we have access to on the internet are based on cloud computing architecture. Therefore, it’s important to ensure these sites meet all security and performance standards. In this article, we will focus on performance testing in cloud environments.
Why Cloud Performance Testing?
With the massive increase in internet traffic in terms of the number of users and the size of data, an application can receive visits from all over the globe. In order to handle all users, the application’s performance must be measured during peak traffic. Therefore, it’s essential to run tests to obtain the highest concurrence level.
Our performance tests should be focused on measuring:
- Velocity: determines if the application responds quickly
- Scalability: determines the maximum user load the application can handle
- Stability: determines if the application remains stable under varying loads
Types of performance testing that can be run in cloud environments include:
- Stress testing
- Load and performance testing
- Browser performance testing
- Latency testing
- Capacity testing
The following are the main benefits of performance testing in cloud environments:
- Supports testing scalability: with a cloud-based platform, there’s no need to restrain the number of users for performance testing; tests can be more realistic in terms of visits from an expected number of users
- Supports geographical testing: performance tests run on the cloud can be executed from any region, in other words, wherever the application is expected to be available; therefore, global scalability is also possible
- Supports production apps/system testing: generally, tests are limited to their test environment, but by using tools based on the cloud, tests can also be run in production environments
- Reduces overall costs: using the cloud as a testing platform reduces the need for installation and maintenance configuration, reducing overall costs
The following are some cloud-based load and performance testing providers:
Profitability, velocity, agility, and efficiency are some of the key reasons why companies are widely leveraging the cloud. Running performance tests is a complex task that must be customized effectively for diverse applications and projects. There are many factors that must be taken into consideration when coming up with a strategy: project environments, commercial drivers, acceptance factors, technology types, set of available skills, resources, and approaches.
If you are looking for a software partner who will work towards your business goals and success, then Avantica is your solution. We offer dedicated teams, team augmentation, and individual projects to our clients. We are constantly looking for the best methodologies in order to give you the best results.